How do I request a public record?

A request to review and/or copy records shall be made by written applications. At a minimum, the application shall contain the applicant’s legibly printed name, the applicant’s signature, description of the records to be inspected, applicant’s contact information and whether the records will be used for a commercial or non-commercial purpose. The applicant may obtain a copy of SD1’s Open Records Request form upon request or at our open records page

Open records requests may be delivered by any of the following:

  • U.S. Mail or hand-delivery to main office located at 1045 Eaton Drive, Ft. Wright, KY 41017;
  • Faxed to 859-331-2436 (SD1 Records); or
  • Electronic mail to:

Show All Answers

1. What is a public record?
2. How do I request a public record?
3. Will I be charged a fee?
4. Do I need to complete an open records request to view a map showing sanitary and/or storm water assets? ?
5. Do I have to complete an open records request to view billing records regarding my sanitary and/or storm accounts?
6. The open records request form asks if the purpose of the request is commercial or non-commercial. What does this mean?
7. How do I pay the fee?
8. What is the time frame for a response to my open records request?
9. What if I want to come in and inspect records?
10. What if I fail to inspect requested open records?
11. What if my request is denied?