- Polluted storm water drains to drinking water sources, which can threaten public health and increase drinking water treatment costs.
- Bacteria can wash into swimming and fishing areas, creating health hazards.
- Sediment can cloud the water and smother habitats needed by fish and other aquatic life.
- Household hazardous wastes, such as pesticides, paint and used motor oil, can kill wildlife.
- Nutrients from excess fertilizer can wash into streams, leading to algae blooms and other problems in local bodies of water that make it difficult for fish and other aquatic life to survive.
Learn more about SD1’s Stormwater Services.