Wastewater from industrial customers is different than wastewater from most homes and businesses. As a result, industrial flow requires additional controls to ensure potential pollutants don't disrupt the normal operation of SD1's wastewater treatment plants.
SD1's industrial pretreatment program protects health and the environment.
Emergency Spill Notification
Spills and pretreatment bypasses must be reported immediately after being discovered. This will help SD1 better prepare wastewater treatment plants for unexpected discharges.
Please contact SD1 at 859-547-1673 to report a spill or pretreatment bypass.
SD1's industrial pretreatment program regulates discharge from commercial and industrial facilities as required under the federal Clean Water Act. The program is designed to
- Prevent pollutants that would interfere with the treatment process from entering SD1's sewer system.
- Prevent pollutants that can't be treated from entering and passing through SD1 facilities into the environment.
- Reduce health and environmental risks caused by pollution.
This program regulates industrial discharges through wastewater sampling and on-site inspections of industrial facilities in SD1's service area. For more information on this program, call SD1's Industrial Services Department at 859-547-1106.
SD1 permits industrial users.
Permitted users must understand which wastewater treatment facility receives their industrial wastewater flow, as well as the effluent limits
that apply to that facility. Permitted users can find more information on the rules that apply to them in SD1's Rules and Regulations
Industrial users fall into two categories.
Significant industrial users
(SIUs) are users with one or more of the following traits:
Categorical industrial users
- Have potential to adversly affect SD1 treatment plants
- Discharge 25,000 gallons of processed wastewater per day, on average
- Contribute 5 percent or more of the average flow under normal dry-weather conditions at the treatment plant
(CIUs) are a type of SIU but are also subject to categorical pretreatment standards and have the following traits:
To help determine if your existing business qualifies as an SIU or CIU, or if you are planning to start a commercial or industrial business in the SD1 service area, complete the industrial waste questionnaire and permit application
Other industrial services information