The storm water fee you pay supports SD1's efforts to manage storm water runoff that otherwise could contribute to neighborhood flooding. When not properly managed, storm water runoff can also cause erosion of the soil that supports roadways and other infrastructure and can lead to pollution in area streams.
Rates for Fiscal Year 2016
Standard single-family residential properties currently pay a flat monthly fee of $5.04 for storm water services.
For a complete list of SD1's rates and fees, including for non-residential customers, click here.
Your Bill is Based on Impervious Surface Area
Sidewalks, driveways, rooftops, parking lots and streets are all impervious surfaces
that prohibit rain and snowmelt from soaking into the ground, leading to storm water runoff. Because all properties with impervious surfaces contribute to storm water runoff issues, the fee supporting SD1's storm water management services is based on the amount of impervious surface area on each property.
What's an ERU?
ERU stands for "equivalent
An ERU is equal to 2,600
square feet, or about the
average impervious area of a
standard Northern Kentucky residential property.
Standard residential customers pay a flat monthly fee of $5.04 - the charge for one "equivalent residential unit" (ERU).
An ERU is equal to 2,600 square feet of impervious surface area, which is approximately the average impervious surface area per residential property across Boone, Campbell and Kenton counties. All residential properties (defined as detached single-family homes and duplexes on a single parcel) are charged for one ERU each month.
Non-residential property owners are billed monthly or quarterly based on the actual amount of impervious area on the property, as broken down into ERUs. An ERU is an "equivalent residential unit" and is equal to 2,600 square feet. For every 2,600 square feet of impervious surface on a non-residential parcel, the property is currently charged $5.04.
A property that contains 26,000 square feet of impervious surface equates to 10 ERUs and would be billed a monthly fee of $50.40. If that same property was billed on a quarterly basis, the quarterly fee would be $151.20.
26,000 square feet/2,600 square feet = 10 ERUs
10 ERUs x $5.04 = $50.40 monthly
$50.40 x 3 months = $151.20 quarterly
Storm water credits are available for non-residential property owners who implement storm water controls that meet certain requirements. Click below for more details and contact information.
A list of SD1's non-residential rates and fees is available here.
Your Fee Supports These Storm Water Services
The revenue created from the storm water fee funds the Regional Storm Water Management Program, which includes these services:
- Detecting and eliminating illegal connections and failing private sewer systems that are discharging into local streams, potentially harming public health.
- Looking for pollution runoff and the dumping of hazardous materials into local storm water systems, creeks and channels.
- Managing construction site runoff to prevent flooding and erosion problems which can disrupt property and roads.
- Monitoring Northern Kentucky's streams as a part of our efforts to understand the causes of flooding that damage private property and public infrastructure.
- Operating, maintaining and upgrading the public storm sewer system that protects properties and roads from flooding throughout the service area.